Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Monkey Fabric Basket Liner with Tutorial





I have been a busy little bee getting ready to host a baby shower for my sister this coming weekend! She is having her second child and this time around it is a boy! She found she had many items that she would have liked to use in his room but they unfortunately were more for a girl’s room.

She had purchased this dark woven basket with a pink and brown fabric liner from Babies R’ Us a few years back to match my niece’s room. I told her I would love to change the liner to match the jungle theme of the new baby’s room.

First I had to measure the old liner. I did so from seam to seam on the backside of the original liner. I had 4 trapezoids and a rectangle bottom and I measured out a strip to attach to the top to create the outside edge. With these measurements I added a ¼” on every side to account for a seam allowance. Adding an additional inch to the long side of the outside edge so that I could turn in over and create a nice finished edge.

I then cut the four sides pieces and bottom piece out of the cotton quilting weight fabric and a fusible interfacing. This would make the inside of the liner a bit sturdier than the original version. I did not cut interfacing for the flap that comes over the side. I only cut that from the cotton fabric.

For this basket liner I purchased ¾ of a yard of quilting weight cotton. I still have a little left over. Just enough to make a fabric block or to add to my stash for a smaller project in the future!
  
(Here are all the cut pieces with interfacing)

To assemble the liner, first sew together sides using a ¼” seam.
Once all four sides have been sewn together, I find it best to press the seams to one side and create a nice crease at each corner.
Once that is done you need to take the outer sides and pin them to the bottom rectangle. At the corners you will fold the fabric to one side in order to go all the way around the bottom piece. I’m sorry I don’t have a picture for the pinning…. I knew I forgot something! But once it is completed the bottom will look like this…
And this is what it will look like from another view...
At this point I checked to make sure the liner fit in the basket correctly…. And it did!
I put aside the liner and than began work on the outer flap. I used this nifty Straight Folding Template from the Scientific Seamstress which can he found here and used it to press over a ½” inch. Once I had made one hem it was easy to roll over another ½” and press again. 
I used a 1/8" seam allowance and straight stitched along the hem as shown below...

Then I stitched the ends together and used a ¼” seam to create a ring with the flap and pinned it right sides together to the top of the inside liner. I used for a ½” seam to create an extra wide seam in the top so that it would be stronger around the top edge. At this point you could zig-zag stitch close to the edge to prevent more fraying or use pinking shears close to the edge. I did not do either of those.

 Now the last thing to do is to press the outer flap over so as to create crisp edges.
 And voila! You now have a new basket liner... And it looks like a brand new basket! Perfect for my new little nephew's room!

I hope you enjoyed this! But mostly I hope you'll give it a try with an empty basket in your home! It took only a few hours ... while trying to take care of a 15 month old at the same time! And you really feel accomplished upon completion! This is an easy and inexpensive way to spruce up an old basket!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your detailed instructions and pictures. This is very helpful for all the "craftsters" out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I took pictures as I went but it really was a "figure it out as you go" type of project that turned out better than I ever expected!

      Delete