Friday, March 30, 2012

Freezer Paper Stencils

I have been making many things lately and using Freezer Paper Stencils to create personalized gifts. When I post pictures most people are just floored and either think they could never do that or that it’s hard… Well, I am here to tell you it is one of the EASIEST things to do! I am not promising that it isn’t a little time consuming and well, you may get hurt, ha ha… But you too can start making many beautiful personalized gifts very easily!

The only supplies you need are:
  • Freezer paper - Which I like to roll out and cut into 8.5” x 11” sheets so I always have some handy to print
  • Exacto Knife (or scissors)
  • Mat to cut on (If using Exacto knife)
  • Fabric Paint
  • Foam Brush
Remember the Journal Covers I showed you how to make? Well now I will use those to show you how I stenciled on the church's logo!

So First, you need to find an image you want to stencil and print it onto the paper side of the freezer paper. The shiny side is what will be used to adhere it to your item. You can print or even draw out your design onto the paper!

Secondly You will need to cut out all the "black". For my logo that meant the black lettering. Please note you need to KEEP any white pieces you may have cut around! They are part of the stencil! When you are done you will have the outline and all the white pieces left as shown below.


Next you will use your iron to adhere the stencil to your item. It doesn't need to be heated very long! Just enough to make it stick completely to the fabric. I counted and a few seconds will usually do. I like to adhere the main outline first and then add in the center pieces. Note: if you need to make more than one these sheets will usually adhere 3 or 4 more times! (As long as you don't over iron them)

Now is when the fast and fun part will come in! You will need some paint and your foam brush.

And simple dab the paint. If you "brush" it too hard it may go past the freezer paper and create uneven lines. I have found you can dab it on and then lightly brush over the stencil to create smooth lines without ruining the image.

Once you have painted the item you just need to gently peel off the freezer paper. Don't let the item dry first or it could stick to the stencil... So paint, then peel!

So remember the white pieces you probably had to iron in the center or around the main stencil? Well I like to just use a small tweezer to lift those up and peel them off. So my fingers don't smudge or ruin the stenciled design.

So.... easy enough right? I think it sounds a lot more complicated then it is! It all goes so fast once you get going! I recommend trying something small to start with, like maybe your initial on a shirt or a little logo on a tote? As you feel more comfortable try bigger designs or adding multiple layers and colors! They make anything look personalized and adds just that extra touch of love to a project! And look what you have left?! Something wonderful!




So give it a try and you can always drop me a line if you need some help! I'd love to help you create a wonderful gift!

These are a taste of some totes I stenciled for our church's Women's Retreat!
There were 37!!!! in all! What a wonderful time we had... And the ladies were just so grateful for the handmade touch each bag had!

And this is a Rice Bag Warmer I made from a tutorial on the sewcanshe.com website. I just stenciled on my friend's name... Not only did it add a special touch, but the next day they featured it in their daily e-mail!

So take a chance! Give it a try! People WILL ALWAYS think it is harder than it was! Plus it shows someone you care just that much more!



1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to get some friends together and try this! The bags are awesome! The rice bag might make a great teacher gift too. :) Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

    ReplyDelete