Thursday, April 12, 2012

Scrappy Fabric Pillow Fun!



Fabric scraps have been on my mind lately! I NEEDED to find a way to start using some of them. And well with Spring Cleaning beginning I thought what a wonderful way to CLEAN up some of my fabric!

This was really fun and easy to make! It took me a few days, only because in between playing with Abby and taking care of the house I was trying to sew and come up with a design that used only the limited amount of fabric I had with the print on it! The print came from a 1lb scrap bag I bought from Quilt Fabric Closeouts for get this, $1.50!! Then I purchased the brown linen from Jo-Ann's, on sale of course! And there's enough for another small pillow!


First, I evened out the strips and cut them into more manageable pieces.


Next, my favorite part! I sit down with a fresh cup of coffee and some tunes off Pandora and start piecing the strips together using a 1/4" seam.

As I piece it together I press the seams open on the back. Once all pieced together, I even out the edges this is what I was left with. Which was beautiful all on it's own! It measured about 10x12".

Now for the creative part! I then cut 2 1/2" squares from the scrap piece and had 12, then pieced it with the brown linen to create my patchy pillow cover! I cut the brown linen in 2 1/2" squares with 4x2 1/2" and 8x2 1/2" strips.
Once it was all pieced together I line it with an additional piece of linen. And with this pillow I sandwiched a piece of batting in between and quilted it to give it a bit of a plushier look!



I also had some extra scraps left over from cutting out my squares and used them to just "scrappy" applique 2" squares on the top flap and also attach a long strip of it on the bottom piece.
Here is a closeup of the what I like to call "Scrappy" applique because I use a shorter zig zag but not as close as an applique zag.

I used 1/4" in seams with the piecing but when actually sewing the pillow together I cut the pieces so that the actual pillow has a 1/2" seam allowance. That way if somehow my piecing comes out a little wrong, which it has before... I still have enough fabric to make the pillow the right size with that larger seam allowance at the end!

And when you're done you have a beautiful pillow!


No comments:

Post a Comment