Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year, New "Strength", New Prayer


This is a Prayer Flag. The concept was started through this site, The Prayer Flag Project. The idea is that you create this 5x8 inch flag that is then hung outdoors. As the flag slowly deteriorates it then releases your prayer into the world... Maybe not necessarily my cup of tea, but I do love the concept. You are creating it with a prayer included! I have created other flags, but as a friend said, "You can see the prayer in this flag..." (Big Thank You to Leslie!)

This flag in particular was made for a Craftster swap. My partner had the idea of the main word and the butterfly and the verses... 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17... I came up with how I displayed it and incorporated her desires into the flag. This time I wanted to try some new things and I truly wanted to incorporate a prayer into this flag. And this is the creation that came to me!

The writing was done with a permanent micron pen on just bits of scrap fabric. As I wrote them they were a great reminder to myself!
 The butterfly itself was a piece of thin handmade scrapbook paper I had found at Joann's... so maybe not actually handmade but that same look. If you look real close to the right you can see some of the fibers...

I actually just used felt tip markers I bought at the 99 Cent Store to color the butterfly! I used a charcoal instead of deep black and three shades of orange with a hint of deep yellow. The markers just bled so perfectly on the paper that my shading was almost professional! Ha, Ha. I will definitely be using this technique again!
 The word "Strength" was painted on a piece of vinyl and cut and sewn on very last! I used the same paper as the butterfly to create a sort of 3D cocoon for the butterfly and had already attached the "twig" so that there was really no way to display the word without hiding something... So a remnant purchase of vinyl from Joann's came in handy...

The fabric in front of the burlap was just scraps sewn together with no method... And then everything was sewn on top of that.
  The pom-pom fringe was an afterthought and luckily I didn't stitch the fabric at the edge so I could still sandwich the fringe between the burlap and the fabric.

The burlap was a craft all of its own! I bought almost an ivory/cream colored burlap and dyed it with coffee, tea, and distressed inks. It was then frayed and the edges burned with a lighter... just a note that I don't recommend doing that... Burlap is hard to blow out.... the embers can continue to burn. I did this over a sink with running water and barely singed the edges! But after it looks just perfect.

Of course my flag would not last too long outdoors with the paper and marker... but I put a prayer in every stitch! I hope my partner enjoys this flag.... and is blessed with the prayers that were placed into it!


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment